The plumbing vent is a device that assists water’s passage through the sewage pipe, or the septic tank out back, and for the average homeowner this essential device is forgotten about when it comes time to remodel your bathroom‘s interior plumbing. However, without it, all of your work will be for nothing.
Here are five reasons why:
- It’s the Law: First and foremost, not having a plumbing vent is against most building codes. So in addition to not being safe, it’s also illegal to not have one installed. Don’t let your plumbing land you in legal waters! Be sure to call a professional plumber like Avis.
- Slow Draining: That’s what your drainage do without an adequate plumbing vent. The water will only seep down the drain, rather than flush quickly, as we’d all like. Shower and toilet clogs caused by improper venting is wastefully inefficient. Illegal and inefficient? Not good.
- Weird Noises: Hear gurgling coming from your toilet? If your drain line isn’t vented properly, water will have a hard time draining and you’ll likely hear a lot of unpleasant and annoying noises.
- Weird Smells: Without a plumbing vent properly in place, you’ll have no way of stopping dirty water from siphoning out of your drain. And you know exactly that means: soon enough, your toilet will start smelling more and more like a sewage treatment plant.
- For Your Health: Not only are those smells emanating from your toilet gross, but they’re also dangerous. A stench can also hold toxins that can harm you and your loved ones. Just think of all that’s at stake over a small vent.
If you are having issues with slow draining toilets and sinks, strange noises when you flush, or bad smells that won’t go away — or if you are looking to remodel your bathroom and want to make sure things get done “right” — call Avis Plumbing & Air Conditioning at (239) 542-4421 to have your plumbing system inspected.