If you are concerned about the quality of the water in your Cape Coral, Naples, or Fort Myers home — perhaps due to unpleasant tastes or odors — then you should contact a water treatment specialist like Avis right away to see if they can help you with the installation of a whole-house water filtration system. Although you can reduce some contamination levels from your water with filtered pitchers and point-of-use filters attached to faucets, the best way to ensure that you target the contaminants you need removed is to have professionals provide you with water testing followed by installation of a filtration system that will do the job.
One of our specialties here at Avis is matching homes in Cape Coral, Fort Myers, and surrounding areas to water filtration systems that will provide them with clean, healthy water. We also offer water testing to make sure that your household receives the ideal filtration system for its needs.
Here are some of the more common water-borne contaminants that professionally installed water filters can remove:
- Asbestos: Derived from natural ground deposits and from the cement in fresh water systems. Known to cause cancer.
- Chlorine: One of the most common types of contaminants that can infiltrate a fresh water supply, chlorine is a byproduct of water disinfection through chlorination.
- Giardia: A naturally occurring contaminant that can cause gastrointestinal disorders.
- Hydrogen sulfide: This is a familiar contaminant, since it creates the unpleasant “rotten egg” smell that sometimes occurs in municipal water. Rarely harmful, but not something you want entering your home.
- Iron: Although not hazardous for your health, excess iron can stain laundry and damage plumbing and appliances.
- Mercury: Mercury can enter the municipal water supply due to crop runoff and natural deposits. Excess mercury can lead to kidney troubles and nervous system disorders.
- Microbiological contaminants: A general term that applies to bacterial infections from sewage and septic leakage. Responsible for a variety of illnesses.
- Radon: A well-known carcinogen that can enter homes in a variety of ways, including through the water system.
- Turbidity: This is dirt that enters water through soil runoff, resulting in murky water.
Your home’s water could suffer from one or more of the above problems, and some are harder to detect than others. It takes skilled water treatment experts to test the water and find out exactly what sort of pollution it contains. Once this is done, the professionals can recommend the style and size of filter (activated carbon, sediment, iron reduction, carbon block, etc.) to counteract the contaminants so that you receive healthy water at every tap and appliance in your home.
Along with water filtration in Southwest Florida, our knowledgeable team of Cape Coral plumbers at Avis Plumbing & Air Conditioning can help you with water softeners, reverse osmosis systems, and chemical feed pumps. Whatever is affecting your water, we will find a way to eliminate it — give us a call today at (239) 542-4421 to schedule an appointment!